The Holiday Home Awards were instigated in 2015 by the European Holiday Home Association (EHHA) as a means to showcase the diversity and quality of holiday homes available for short term rental.
The Awards are given to individual Holiday Homes that provide for a unique and high-quality holiday experience for the average holiday guest. The Holiday Home must be freely available for rent for a significant period of the year.
- An award will be handed out for holiday homes in 8 separate categories (see below)
- All company members of EHHA as well as companies who are members of trade associations within the EHHA can nominate holiday homes for awards.
- The nominating party may determine which categories to enter for each individual house.
- In order to broaden the contest, any one holiday home may only be nominated in a maximum of 3 categories
- An expert jury selects a group of finalists amongst the nominated houses in each category, giving due concern to geographical diversity
- The winners will be selected from the finalists by jury vote.
- The jury will consist of one representative from each national trade association member of the EHHA.
- Each jury member will submit the following points in each category: 10, 8, 6, 4, 2.
- Points are awarded based on the presentation of the Holiday Home on the website where it can be rented and the description submitted as part of the nomination. (I.e. the individual houses will not be visited by expert jury or judges)
- The winner in each category will be the holiday home with the most points.
- The Award is open to nominations from 15 June to 25 July 2017.
- The winners of the 2017 awards will be announced at an EHHA event in Brussels on 14 September 2017.
Categories and criteria
- Best Holiday Home in European Capital (regional or national capitals)
- The Holiday Home is located in a regional or national capital. It should enable the visitor to enjoy city life and the special ambience and characteristics of the city where it is located.
- Best Holiday Home Beach House
- The Holiday Home is located on the coast, near the waterfront, and provide an opportunity to enjoy the seaside, the water, beach life etc.
- Best Family Friendly Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home and the surroundings provide high quality facilities and opportunities especially suited for families with children
- Best Green Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home is sustainable in terms of a low impact on the environment and also provides an opportunity to experience the local nature
- Best Pet Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home provides high quality facilities and opportunities for families with pets
- Best Health and Wellness Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home provide high quality facilities and opportunities for health and wellness
- Best Unique Spot Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home is unique placed, and integrates the setting in the experience of living in the home
- Best Accessible Holiday Home
- The Holiday Home provides high quality facilities and opportunities for persons with disabilities
- The nominated houses must be of a high standard, and must be presented on the website in a manner which reflects the actual features of the house
- Points are awarded based on the presentation of the Holiday Home on the website where it can be rented and the description submitted as part of the nomination. (I.e. the individual houses will not be visited by expert jury or judges.) The points reflect some or all the following elements:
- Photography / Video
- Accreditations (star grading, awards)
- Quality and completeness of description
- Social Media
Our expert jury
Niki Christian Nutsch
Niki Christian Nutsch (MBA) has earned international recognition as an expert in tourism and hospitality, and as an experienced business leader with a strong background in developing high-performing marketing and sales teams in the resort and vacation home industry. As the Founder and Director of Nutsch and Associates, a specialized research, consulting, and training practice, Niki serves the vacation rental and resort industry by generating measurable and sustainable performance improvement across sales and marketing. In addition to his role at Nutsch & Associates, Niki lectures in tourism and hospitality marketing at universities and business schools throughout Europe and is frequently invited to deliver keynote speeches, presentations, and seminars at industry conferences. Together with his wife, he owns and operates vacation rentals in Spain and Italy. www.nutsch.co.uk
Jacob R. Kirkegaard Larsen, PhD
Jacob is Manager for the Destination Development Team at The Danish Coastal and Nature Tourism Foundation, a national organization recentlig established with the purpose to promote economic growth within a tourism industry highly dominated by holiday home renters. As part of his PhD study, Jacob did research within family holiday experiences in relation to short-term rented holiday homes and examined the opportunities for developing the holiday home and the holiday home destinations accordingly. Finally, Jacob is external examiner at the MA-study in Tourism at Aalborg University.
Elena Lacasa graduated in Law and has a Master in Legal science from ESADE University (Barcelona).
She has worked in the public administration of the Catalan Government since 2008, focusing on the field of tourism.
From the Tourism department she has specialized in the field of comparative law and international benchmarking and in the study of the collaborative economy for a better regulation in the accommodation sector. She is a technical member of the Interdepartmental Commission for the development of the collaborative economy created by the Catalan Government that addresses this phenomenon from all perspectives and aims to reach a global understanding and joint to create conditions for the development of confidence and sustainable growth.
Elena Lacasa asumes the leadership of the Working Group on digital platforms of NECSTouR, the Network of European Regions for a sustainable and competitive tourism, representing the member regions of the network before the European institutions, organizing workshops on issues related to the digitalization of tourism, driving pilot actions to exchange and analyze good practice between regions.